Aka – THE BEST MAC AND CHEESE I HAVE EVER MADE!!
My mac and cheese never tastes like you had it at a good BBQ place as a side, like never. Until now! The smoked gouda and the cajun seasoning gives it the BEST flavor – I will never use another recipe again!!
- 4 cups Dried Macaroni
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
- 2-½ cups Fat-free Half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons Dry Mustard
- 1 whole Egg, Beaten
- ⅓ pounds Smoked Gouda
- ½ pounds Cheddar Cheese
- ¼ pounds Sharp Cheddar
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- ½ teaspoons Fresh Grated Pepper
- ½ teaspoons Cajun Seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Boil macaroni in a pot of water until very firm, for only about three minutes. Drain off the water and rinse macaroni with cool water.
3. Grate up all of your cheeses and set them aside..
4. In a large pot over medium-low heat, melt butter then sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for about five minutes or until the mix is light brown, whisking constantly.
5. Mix the half-and-half with mustard in a small bowl then add it a bit at a time and whisk until smooth each time. Once all of the cream has been incorporated cook the mixture until very thick. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
6. In a small bowl, beat egg. Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into the beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs.
7. Pour egg mixture back into the sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth and uniform in color.
8. Add in about a pound of the cheeses and stir until melted, then add salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. Taste sauce and add more seasoning if desired. Mix should taste salty, add more salt if needed.
9. Add the drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
10. Pour mixture into a greased baking dish (I used a 9×13), top with the remaining cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top. Serve and enjoy!