I love summer because I love cooking out, and I LOVE sides! This one is just fabulous, so fresh, and so easy – just throw everything together!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 – 2 heads Romaine lettuce, depending on size
- 1 small head red cabbage, minced or 1 bag sliced red cabbage, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely minced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 c. ditalini pasta, cooked and cooled
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 c. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Vinaigrette dressing, bottled or homemade (we used a Honey Mustard Vinaigrette)
1. Wash and dry the lettuces. Finely chop until the lettuce is in small pieces. Put in a large bowl.
2. Add remaining ingredients, except dressing, and toss to combine well.
3. Serve dressing along side the salad or pour on and combine just before serving.
The original Portillo’s Chopped Salad includes diced chicken breast, but we opted to leave that out to make it more picnic and side-dish friendly. I think I’ll be making this for just our family very soon and including the chicken. It would definitely be hearty enough to make a complete meal.