This weekend it was 72 degrees in Pittsburgh – Sunny and Gorgeous! As soon as the weather turned warm, I immediately wanted Caprese Salad. I saw the Barefoot Contessa make this last week, I didn’t realize roasting the tomatoes would make THAT much of a difference – it was soooo good!
- 12 plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 12 fresh basil leaves, julienned
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- Halve the tomatoes lengthwise, seeds removed, not cores.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with the garlic, sugar, 1 1/2 tespoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 2 hours or until the tomatoes are concentrated and begin to caramelize.
Allow the tomatoes to cool to room tempeture.
- Cut the mozzarella into slices slightly less than 1/2-inch thick. If the slices of mozzarella are larger than the tomatoes, cut the mozzarella slices in half. Layer the tomatoes alternately with the mozzarella on a platter and scatter the basil on top.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Serve at room temperature.