Last Friday ( the day after Christmas ), Nicole and I tackled the mall and went to Olive Garden for their Soup, Salad, and Breadsticks – it really hit the spot! We both had this soup, and I wanted to try to replicate it at home. I served this on New Year’s Day dinner, and everyone loved it!
- 2 packages of ground sausage ( I used one sweet, one spicy)
- 4 medium potatoes, cut in half lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 head of escarole chopped
- 1.5 tablespoons chicken base
- 3 box containers of chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Red Pepper Flakes/Pepper for seasoning
- Remove Sausge from casings if in links.
- Cook ground sausage, until done. Cook bacon and onion over medium heat, when bacon is crisp, take it out of the pan and leave the onion.
- Add garlic to the onion, and cook 1 minute.
- Add chicken base, broth and potatoes; simmer 15 minutes.
- Crumble bacon.
- Add crumbled bacon, sausage, kale and milk.
- Simmer 4 minutes, then serve.